What is professional teeth cleaning?
To put it simple, ‘teeth cleaning’ is a procedure in which a dentist cleans the surface of your teeth and gums using a variety of tools. Also known as prophylaxis, teeth cleaning plays an important role in maintaining oral hygiene and preventing dental cavities and gum diseases. Regular brushing, flossing of teeth accompanied by a visit to the dentist can ensure good dental health.
Why professional dental cleaning is required?
Teeth are often covered with saliva, which contains lot of minerals and other substances that strengthen teeth. The advantage of this layer of chalky substance on the teeth, over time, turns out to be a disadvantage when it builds up like lime scale in a kettle. This substance forms a matrix for bacterial growth and is called plaque. This plaque when it calcifies or hardens is called calculus or tartar. If this plaque and calculus are not removed consistently will lead to inflammation of the gums and cause various gum diseases. Although, regular brushing and inter-dental cleaning can keep the teeth clean, they do not remove plaque (a soft, sticky film of bacteria) and hardened deposits like calculus (tartar) completely from teeth. It’s recommended for an individual to get his or her teeth professionally cleaned at least once or twice a year depending on their needs.
What are the Instruments used for teeth cleaning?
The professionals at Springdale Family Dental Clinic use advanced dental instruments like ultrasonic instrument that emits tickling vibrations to remove tartar. It also sprays cool water to wash the debris off and maintain the temperature. The ends of this instrument are curved and are always in motion for effective cleaning. Fine hand tools like curettes, scalers are also used to smoothen the tooth surface by removing smaller tartar remains. To polish the tooth surface, professionals at Springdale family dental clinic use an instrument with a soft rubber cup and prophy paste or a prophy jet where very fine particles are sprayed on to the tooth to remove stains and make your teeth shine like before.
Diagnostic dental cleaning services at Springdale Family Dental clinic include:
- Reviewing and updating your medical history (information about heart problems, pregnancy, diabetes and medications, which may affect your oral health.)
- Checking biting, chewing and swallowing patterns
- Evaluation of gum tissue
- Oral cancer examination
- Dental X-rays or examination to detect decay
- Referral to specialists for specific treatment
Preventive services for good dental health include:
- Stain removal
- Fluoride application
- Removal of plaque and tartar
- Polishing teeth, including fillings and crowns
- Sealants (for children)
- Cleaning and adjustment of dentures and partial dentures
Educational services to maintain good dental health may include:
- Nutritional counseling
- Tobacco-cessation counseling
- Instructions for effective tooth brushing and flossing
- Recommendations for future treatment (including when to return for follow-up hygiene treatment, periodontal (gum) concerns or restorative options)
- Evaluation of self-care effectiveness
It is very important to get your teeth cleaned professionally at least once a year because proper dental care will give you healthy mouth and a confident smile!